Monday, September 21, 2020

Zeranoe is down

 An era has ended. As of the 18th of this month, Zeranoe, the best source for Windows binaries of FFMPEG, has shut down.

 Two other sites have stepped up to become the official FFMPEG Windows binary maintainers, but neither of them builds 32 bit versions.

This leaves those of us who rely on FFMPEG for AVISynth processing with a choice: trust less popular/probably not vetted sources for new 32-bit versions of FFMPEG, or build the source code ourselves. As this thread on Doom9 suggests, the latter seems to be the more popular choice:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1923902#post1923902

In particular, commenters there suggest using a set of scripts called media-autobuild_suite.

https://github.com/m-ab-s/media-autobuild_suite

Since everything involved with MABS is open source and well tested, I'm going to be using this solution for 32-bit from now on unless it absolutely breaks down on me. It'll mean a little extra complexity, but gains the benefit of being able to control what's compiled into FFMPEG.

It also means that I'm probably going to have to go back and update several of my tutorials, which I don't have a lot of time to do these days.

Going forward, I'm going to recommend binaries from the official FFMPEG Windows binary maintainers for 64-bit, and building from source for 32-bit. 

Personally, I wish I could go 100% 64-bit at this point, but there's still a few important 32-bit AVISynth plugins that I need to use, So until those either get updated or become obsolete, that's going to be the situation. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I know times are tough but I gain a lot from your knowledge. It's realy meaningful and I thankyou for sharing. I spend a lot of time reading at the videohelp forum and you're a good source of wisdom.

Andrew Swan said...

Thanks. Comments like yours are why I keep doing these posts and videos.

Unknown said...

From DSPplug (the original unknown poster)
https://dspplug.com

I found an interesting algorithm btw.
It matches your method to a degree, and maybe you should try it so as to ascertain why it is working so well.

1. In the now free program videoenhancer2:
Asvzzz deinterlace by Serge AndyK

(this strengthens and sharpens motion when blurred so as to properly treat the aliasing with nlmeans in ffmpeg, in the next step)

2. In ffmpeg:
%ffmpeg% -i "test.mkv" -vf nlmeans="2.0:7:5:3:3" "new.mkv"

(I also found 3.0 worked very well)

3. In videoenhancer2 I then use 1-8 (depending on quality) with this:
Dynamic Noise Reduction (MMX) by Steven Henk Don

What's interesting, is this algo can make horrendously damaged video look passable like here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcI6gq9_ZWw

If you're interested, I'll share high quality jpeg screenshots of the original in a reply. It's amazing the difference. The problem was, like you perceived, spatial smoothing and denoising was not affecting movement, yet the with the above deinterlacing and nlmeans denoise technique, it achieves both ends.

You can actually achieve both without any problem; but it's time consuming. If on the command line, worked into a batch in ffmpeg, vapour or avisynth - This would be a commercial contender.

If there was an avisynth or virtualsynth alternative I imagine it would be faster. Perhaps there is ports of the same math. I work with math in audio. I just recently made a realtime audio denoiser vst that uses the technologies of Alan Blumlein. My theory is that a significant amount of side is like silence and rather than gating volume, to decide the loudness by instead changing the amount of side applied.

I entered this into the kvraudio 2020 developer challenge.
https://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/2021/

Wish Me luck, and thanks Andrew.
Robert E. Langford
King OZ Records

Which deinterlacing algorithm is the best? Part 1 - HD interlaced footage

Before I began, I'd like to give a special thanks to Aleksander Kozak for his help in testing and providing the HD footage used in this ...